Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Beginning of Wifey


August 28, 2010

It is the day after the wedding and we are as happy as can be. We are now making our way to Florida to catch a plane destined for Montego Bay, Jamaica. My mother came over as I was packing. It wasn’t until this day I started feeling like a woman no longer under the wing of her mother. In between packing I was trying to locate a vase to put a bouquet of red roses in I received as a gift. She knew exactly where she stored it while helping me clean the week leading up to the wedding. Much to my amazement found  it for me and politely but it on the counter. I could not help to say “Mom, you are not going to cut and put them in there for me?”. She says no.  I see she is clearly very tired after the weeked wedding mayhem but of course I saw this as my first indication of my right of passage as a new wife. Then I proceeded again to test my boundaries yet again and asked her to come upstairs to help me pack. She gave me that tired look again and I lost it.. silently sobbing. No longer could I rely on my mother to do those things for me like I was a little girl. At that moment I couldn’t help but to feel on a island very lonely for a minute. However I quickly realized this wonderful man sitting across from me I married yesterday is here with me. Its funny how marriage does feel different. You actually have an extended identify outside of yourself.  He and I now are one unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment